Saturday, August 21, 2010

Easy Cocoa Brownies

Fudgy and moist, these are surprisingly easy

I am now getting requests at work for baked good.  I had a presentation to make and wanted to bring cookies, but I was too tired to be bothered with rolling out individual dough balls.  Instead I opted for brownies and wanted to find the simplest recipe I could.  The one below comes from my all-time favorite cookbook.  If you are learning to cook with no training, I recommend getting The All New Good Housekeeping Cook Book.

Prep: 10 minutes  Bake: 25 minutes
Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts, coarsley chopped (optional) (I substitute 1 cup chocolate chips)

Directions: 
1/ Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease 9-inch square baking pan.  In bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.

2/ In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat.  Remove from heat and stir in sugar.  Stir in eggs, one at a time, until well blended; add vanilla.  Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture until well blended; add vanilla.  Stir in nuts (or in my case, chocolate chips...mmmmmmm). Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.

3/ Bake until toothpick inserted 2 inches from center comes out almost clean, about 25 minutes.  Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

4/ When cool, cut into 4 strips, thencut each strip crosswise into 4 pieces.  Makes 16 brownies.

Share with friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment