Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pork Chops Marinated in Coca Cola

Shown here with Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley and Peas with Butter and Lemon Pepper

This inspiration for this dish came from my mom.  In our family, like many, it's traditional to eat pork, saurkraut and black eyed peas on New Year's Day for financial good.  My mom was telling me that my dad will marinate a pork loin in Coke overnight on New Year's Eve, and it's her absolute favorite.  Just out of curiousity I googled some recipes for pork chops in Coca Cola, and came across this one.  To be honest, it was a too sweet for my taste and the flavor was very one-level (no dimension).   However, this is still a good "starter recipe" for a beginner and served with peas, it has the appeal of "White Trash" cuisine.  Simple, hearty, you get what I'm saying.  A fun twist for serving would be to finely slice the chop and serve it on thick bread or a roll as a BBQ pork sandwich.

Ingredients:
8 pork chops
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup ketchup
1 cup Coca Cola (I subbed Pepsi - blasphemy, I know)
Brown sugar


Directions:
Place pork chops in a baking pan.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  


Mix the ketchup and Coca Cola and pour over the chops.  Sprinkle with brown sugar.  Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour, or until the chops are tender.



No comments:

Post a Comment