Saturday, January 29, 2011

Trader Joe's Grilled Lentil Wrap

These are such a delicious treat and completely vegetarian

For Christmas I got this book: The Cooking with Trader Joe's Cookbook, by Deana Gunn and Wona Miniati.  There are tons of great recipes and they are all relatively basic.  All the ingredients, of course, come from Trader Joe's which makes them quick and easy to pick up.  Mike and I had a paricularly decadant weekend, so this was our answer to quick and healthy dinner.  The recipe is enough for about 6 wraps, so I was able to make a few for lunch and then unfortunately had to toss the rest.  I highly recommend this recipe as a warm and filling treat, especially if you feel like you are needing some extra healthy carbs!
Grilled Lentil Wraps
Prep and cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
1 small onion, chopped, or 1 cup refrigerated Diced Onions
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 pouch frozen Organic Brown Rice, or 2 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups pre-cooked Steamed Lentils
3 cups frozen spinach (half a 16-oz bag), thawed and excess water squeezed out
3/4 cup kefir or plain yogurt (I used Fage 2% Greek Yogurt)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
6 flour tortillas (I like to use the Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Tortillas)


Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Saute onion until soft, about 5 minutes.  Meanwhile prepare frozen rice according to package instructions.  Add spinach and cook until wilted.


2. Add rice and lentils.  Stir until combined and remove from heat.



3. Mix in kefir (or yogurt) and cheese.


4. Heat ungreased griddle or skillet over medium heat.  Assemble wraps by placing 2/3 cup filling in center of tortilla and folding all sides inward.  Place wraps on hot skillet, seam side down.  Place a bag of flour or some other heavy object on top to achieve the effect of a panini press.  Toast for 3-5 minutes on each side until toasted, brown and crispy.  






Variation: Use swiss chard or any other greens instead of spinach.  Substitute alternate cheeses such as Harvati, Swiss or Jack.

Nutrition Info: 311 calories, 9g fat, 2g saturated fat, 13g protein, 42g carbs, 6g fiber, 352mg sodium


2 comments:

  1. Hi Angela,

    Thanks for featuring my recipe! Love all the photos - made me hungry just looking through them. I noticed you said you had to toss the rest. Oh no! What happened? I usually store leftover lentil wraps in the fridge and then re-toast. I bet you could freeze them too, but honestly they never last that long at my house.

    Curious if you discovered a good dipping sauce for them? I still have one jar left of Tomato Chutney (delicious spicy chutney that was discontinued last year) and am scouting for a good replacement.

    Warmly,
    Wona Miniati
    www.CookTJ.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wona,

    Sorry I'm just responding. I haven't found a dipping sauce for this but Tomato Chutney sounds amazing. I think a good tzatziki sauce would work well, too.

    The problem with me tossing leftovers was because I only made the wraps I needed in the moment and stored the filling in tupperwear. I love cooking so much, that I get bad sometimes about using leftovers. I love your book!

    ReplyDelete